Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Unspoken Code of Conduct...

It was a lovely weekend girly lunch. One of those long lazy ones with good food, great gossip and better company.

We brought Little A along, and as always, he was a joy to have around, a good little boy who LOVES his clotted cream and jam on scones…..

So the service left much to be desired. But the place was packed, the food was good and we were too busy enjoying ourselves talking anyways.

The afternoon wore on, fantastic roast beef set, a very yummy sandwich, fries and scones scones scones!!!! And like all good things, it had to come to an end…. Plus Little A was getting sleepy…

So we asked for the bill…

It came.

It took me 2 micro-seconds to adjust the look of pleasant surprise on my face…

It was HALF of what I had mentally calculated it to be.

But as much as I tried to adjust my features, I think the waiter caught my look of surprise and proceeded to ask me if it was the “correct bill”.

I shot a quick look of “NO ONE SAY ANYTHING! LET ME HANDLE THIS!” to the girls… and proceeded to confirm in a very dumb blonde fashion….the very few things that we actually DID order and which were reflected in the bill…. He seemed happy, I pulled out some cash and paid the bill.

The waiter obviously didn’t see the big ass plate of roast beef that we had. Yorkshire pudding and all!!! Although one can’t really blame him, we polished everything off!!!

The change came and Ming gave me look of shock … she had the look of “You’re KIDDING me! You only gave him ONE RM50 note and THERE’S CHANGE??!?!?!?”.

I gave her the smallest of nods to indicate things are a-ok and with much haste (using Little A’s falling asleep as an excuse) we left the joint.

In an unspoken code of conduct, understood only amongst people who have been friends for almost 20 years…. none of us mentioned ANYTHING about the bill.

Even outside.

We waited till we were at least 50 metres away…. When I said…. “Oh, by the way, they forgot to charge us for the roast beef set”. (it was the most expensive thing on their menu).

Ming, 8 months pregnant, and carrying her 3 year old son at that point in time, immediately dropped her head, and proceeded to POWER WALK towards the car…. Fiercely whispering “HURRY UP YOU GUYS!!! WALK!!!!!”

Makes me wonder what kind of role models we are for a 3 year old… but then again, he’s 3, he was half asleep and we may have saved RM40 but the buzz of excitement, the good 10 minutes of hysterical unexplained laughter we indulged in on the way home…. was PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!! We’ll worry about morals when he gets a little older I guess….

.

10 comments:

Adrian Tan said...

Booker Che-Che confirmed she's a blonde...

I hope that the boss did not discover the meat and deduct it off from the waiter's salary. :(

Booker said...

Buck!!! I feel guilty now man....

Adrian Tan said...

Hmph!

Janvier said...

And will Booker be eating at said establishment ever again? :P

Booker said...

sure janvier, with disguise... speaking of which, may i borrow those lips of yours????

andrewk said...

Lawyers.... tsk tsk.

savante said...

They gave you free stuff. Of course you run as fast as possible AWAY! I've done the same too.

BTW which shop is that? I wanna order beef too.

Hobb said...

Oh dear, I would have explained and paid for the roast beef. Working overseas gives you a damn bloody conscience that I admit I probably did not have when back in Malaysia. Not to mention if the restaurant owner takes it out of the poor waiter's or cashier's wages instead.

Booker said...

Aiyoh... now i feel SLIGHTLY guilty lar.....

But still *shrugs*

Savante, it's in ss2, and it shares the same name as the Nut's favourite "moment" when he's dealing with them EON service boys...

the roast beef set was soooooo gooooood!!!!!

Janvier said...

Oooh now we know where! Will go try one day!